Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Metropolitan Museum

This has been about the tenth time I go to the Metropolitan Museum of Arts. This time I went with my little cousin because he also had to go on a field trip there so I decided to take him. It was nice because while he was doing homework I was as well. And he kept asking me a lot of questions.
What I like about this museum is that it has different artworks from a variety of places.

     Three of the sections I chose were from the European, Islamic and Roman Art. One of the reasons I chose the Islamic Art work was because I admire the clothing they use. I was always interested in their religion and beliefs. From this exhibit three things that the artworks have in common are that they all have people doing some type of work. They evoke a feeling of determination and leadership.

     Then I chose the European Art work because my little cousin stayed in this exhibit longer and was drawing some of the artworks. One of the reasons I chose each of these paintings out of the rest was because it brought back memories. I remember back in High school in history class, when I was learning about Alexander the Great. Besides the three being European pieces of art work they were both done around the 15th century.

    Last but not least is the roman sculptures that I always admired. A person taking the time to do all those sculptures is really something to be impressed about. The similarities that they have are that the sculptures are wither missing a part of their body, In this exhibit most of the sculptures were missing  either a hand, a arm or an leg. My favorite is the statue of Aphrodite, since she is the Goddess of Beauty. 

    Over all these pieces together give a sense of determination. They all show how much effort the artist put in to construct these pieces of art work. The good thing about these museums is that people from around the world could come and admire them. Instead of these artworks being all thrown in a basement somewhere, who knows.

ISLAMIC PAINTINGS



The Harvesters
Pieter Bruegel the Elder
(Netherlandish, Breda (?) ca.
1525-1569 Brussels

Three Noblemen in Procession on an Elephant
Paintings by Venkatcgellum
(1780’s-90s)

Three Monks Fording a River:
Folio from a Kalpasutra Kalakacharyakatha Manuscripts
Master of Devasano Pado
Ca.1475






EUROPEAN PAINTINGS
The Theological Virtues: Faith, Charity, Hope
Italian Painter,about
1500

The Meeting of Alexander  the Great and Diogenes
Gaspar de Crayer  (Flemish)
1584-1669

The Virgin
Spanish (Catalan) Painter, second
Quarter 15th century

ROMAN

Statue of Aphrodite
Marble
1st or 2nd century A.D

 Statue of the so-called Stephanos Youth
Marble
Late 1st century B.C. or  1st century A.D

Statue of Old woman
Marble
A.D 14-68

No comments:

Post a Comment